WESTSIDE BUSINESS PARK
KANSAS CITY, MISSOURI
This Kansas City Roundhouse, originally built in 1926, historically served the nearby Union Station as a repair shop for train locomotives. In 2002, the roundhouse complex was transformed into a corporate office headquarters for a local print production company.
Original masonry walls were salvaged and re-pointed. Damaged heavy timber structural members and roof construction were faithfully rebuilt to the original design. All windows, some taller than 20', were replicated, while the original stall doors were reinterpreted as a new storefront system, thereby allowing visitors to view the locomotive turntable centerpiece.
UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI, COLUMBIA
The exterior restoration of this early 1894 campus building features the reconstruction of two matching spire towers. The South Tower had been destroyed in a 1933 tornado, and the North Tower had been removed to maintain symmetry.
The octagonal attic bases were rebuilt as cast-in-place drums with a masonry veneer. The spire peaks originally framed in wood were rebuilt with a new structural steel frame.
Re-roofing of the entire building included restoration of all copper metalwork, featuring several decorative finials, as well as the original designs for the operating weather vanes atop each tower.
Restoration of the exterior masonry included cleaning and tuck pointing of all limestone and brick joints. Additionally, the entrance vestibule tile work, having been removed with previous repairs, was re-laid in quarry tile according to the original pattern.